Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d’Alba Wine
Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d’Alba opens to a darkly saturated color and shows pretty highlight of wild cherry, cassis, black truffle, cola and menthol herb. This is the estate’s most popular wine with an annual production of 200,000 bottles. The wine is extremely focused and bright with the heft and structure that is common to Serralunga d’Alba. Some 80% of the fruit comes from the Fontanafredda estate and the other 20% is purchased off-site. Drink: 2017-2028. Barolo del Comune di Serralunga d’Alba is dense and chewy, this red evokes cherry, tar, spice, earth and underbrush flavors; Stiff and drying on the finish now, yet has fine length and a balanced feel.
Serralunga d’Alba is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Cuneo in the Italian region Piedmont. It’s located about 37 miles southeast of Turin. In the 12th century, when the descendents of Bonifacio del Vasto, Bonifacio Minore and Ottone del Carretto were the lords of the region, a fortified tower overlooked the village of Serralunga. From the early 13th century there are also records of a fortified estate and a rural community which, ruled by the Falletti family, became an important centre of production over the centuries. In 1340 Petrino Falletti gained possession of the Marquis of Saluzzo’s portion of the Serralunga estate, in exchange for his military achievements. He had the fortified tower demolished and built the castle.
In the heart of wine-growing Piedmont – in the hills of the Langhe – Fontanafredda was born: chronicles of the time relate that “by order of 17 June 1858″ an area of 138.82 “giornate piemontesi” (approx. 54 hectares) of the property of Roggeri Giacomo, son of Giovanni Battista in Serralunga d’Alba, was registered under the private estate of Vittorio Emanuele II King of Sardinia. The king, who had fallen hopelessly in love with Rosa Vercellana, also known as “La Bela Rusin”, a commoner and daughter of a drum major at his majesty’s service, gave the entire parcel of land to her, making her Countess of Mirafiori and Fontanfredda a year later. The history of Fontanafredda had begun, but it did not start operating as a business venture until twenty years later, in 1878, thanks to the farsightedness of Emanuele Guerrieri, Count of Mirafiore, son of the king and Bela Rusin, a noble entrepreneur who devoted his life to wine with a very modern approach.