Chateau de Bligny Brut Grande Reserve Champagne
Chateau de Bligny Brut Grande Reserve Champagne has a golden yellow colour that is emphasised by a string of fine, sparkling bubbles. The mineral bouquet gives way to a rich, balanced taste in which lightly toasted brioche and tropical fruit flavours mingle on the finish. Pure elegance! Wine Spectator 90 points – This balances a streamlined frame and racy acidity with integrated flavors of ripe Honeycrisp apple, apricot, tangerine, toasted nuts and a hint of brioche. Lingering nut-tinged finish. Drink now through 2028.
In 1871, the Marquis de Dampierre lost his son, killed at the front. Contrary to certain draft schemes, the railway did not come through Bligny: it was routed instead through Bar-sur-Aube. The glassworks was therefore moved to Bar. Phylloxera sounded the death knell of the Bligny vineyards. Its reconstruction began in the early 19th Century when the chateau was passed on to Baron de Cachard. Louis XVIII had made him a noble and given him the title of Baron. Baron de Cachard gave the estate a new lease of life as a wine-producing establishment: he decided to plant a large vineyard, which earned him the nickname of “Gentleman Wine-maker. Baron de Cachard had been aware of the former excellent reputation of the wines in the region. He had also bought the vineyards of the former Sainte Eulalie Priory, founded in the village in around 1000.
Chateau de Bligny
The vineyards that he planted and bought now form the Chateau de Bligny estate. In 1930 the vineyards covered forty-four hectares. After the war, the estate was bought by a gentleman from Tours, Mr. Lefevre, who wanted to add a champagne to his range of sparkling wines. His plans did not come to fruition and the property was divided up. In 1952, the Lorin family bought the vineyards in several lots and replanted in 1954. We are now seeing the rebirth of Bligny as a result of heavy investment in production equipment, and the chateau has been superbly renovated. The renovated Chateau has been open to the public since 1999.
You can visit the house, which, along with its land, has a great historic, architectural and wine-making heritage. The dining and reception rooms have retained their decorative woodwork and ceilings painted with cherubs and cupids. An outstanding collection of a thousand champagne glasses, including pieces designed by Lalique and Daum, reminds us that the village was the home of one of the Aubes largest crystal glassworks until 1881. Its cellars have the “Champagne Tourist Trail label, and visitors can admire the magnificent neo-Gothic stained glass windows. The latest plan is to create a “Clos (parcel of vines surrounded by walls) in the vast grounds of the Chateau, a project that is rare in Champagne. The “clos will allow visitors to witness the different stages in the growth of the vines.